Sunday 15 March 2015

Step One

'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.' (Lao Tzu) And so my journey begins. I have always wanted to be a hiker but have never taken the first step. Saturday, I began my journey. The hikes I want to be involved in are hours and hours long, to summits with thrilling views. The hikes I am currently in shape for are rated easy and mostly not resplendent with views to swell the heart. That's OK. That's my first step. Now that I have taken it, I am on the road to my thousand mile journey. 

My fist hike was the ever popular Diamond T. It is a 4 km (2.5 mile) loop 
in Kananaskis. Still very icy - Yak Trax necessary - but so beautiful. The smells of pine and spruce; the wind in my hair/face/ears/lots of wind! It made me so happy. 




 My plan now? Easy hikes in town and in the mountains until the spring really arrives in June-ish. Then I hope to move up to moderate but I am making myself a promise not to hold myself to impossible standards. If I am still only hiking easy trails, that's OK. I will move on to moderate when I am ready and then to difficult and I will be hiking those summits with amazing views in my own time. As my Mom always says 'the time will pass anyway. You may as well be progressing while you wait for it to pass.' I have let 50 years pass wanting to be a hiker. My plan is to live to be 100 years old and for the next 50 years I will be a hiker!


No comments:

Post a Comment